I’m waiting on a couple of Lab 10 assignments to finish the grades.. ahem…
Mechanism to Know in Detail
- Hydrohalogenation (Markovnikov) of Alkene (know how alkyne mechanism differs)
- Acid-Catalyzed Hydration of Alkene
- Halohydrin Formation from Alkene
- Acid-Catalyzed Hydration of Alkynes
- Keto-Enol Tautomerization (both Acid and Base Catalyzed)
Reactions from the Unit
- Hydrohalogenation (Markovnikov) of Alkenes and Alkynes
- Hydrohalogenation (anti-Markovnikov) of Alkenes and Alkynes
- Acid Catalyzed Hydration (Oxymercuration-Demercuration) of Alkenes and Alkynes
- Hydroboration-Oxidation of Alkenes and Alkynes
- Hydrogenation (syn– and anti-) of Alkenes and Alkynes
- Partial Hydrogenation (syn– and anti-) of Alkynes
- Bromination of Alkenes and Alkynes
- Halohydrin Formation
- Dihydroxylation (anti– and syn-) of Alkenes
- Ozonolysis of Alkenes and Alkynes
- Elimination of Alkanes to Alkynes
- Alkylation of Alkynes
Important Reactions from the Previous Unit
- Elimination Reactions to produce Alkenes from Alkanes
- Correct Assessment of Base/Nucleophile Needs for Elimination Product Specificity
Class will be on time today (9/21/17), but morning office hours are canceled due to delay at rheumatology.
It is that time of the year when we are all excited and ready to rack up the 4.0 grades, the start of term.
This year is a little bit different for me. Due to staff retirements and the new HLC (Higher Learning Commission) requirements for highly qualified faculty, I have shifted around my schedule a little. I will be teaching CEM131 (Introductory Chemistry), CEM241 (Organic Chemistry I), and BIO220 (Introductory Microbiology). This goes back to my graduate degree in Microbiology and specialization in Bioorganic Chemistry (chemists who take to many biology classes and realize bacteria are better at organic chemistry than me).
REFUND/DROP NO W BY: 9/14/2017
DROP WITH W BY: 9/15/2017
WITHDRAW LAST DAY BY: 12/11/2017
Some of you noticed the new page in the sidebar. The current plan is for me to take over Organic Chemistry next year and since it has been a few years since I have taught it, I have been working on the design in my off time. Amazingly, you cannot simply throw a course together, so it takes me time to get everything ready.